How To Add Categories & Subcategories to your Magento Website
Are you looking for directions on how to add / mange categories and subcategories to your Magento Website? Follow these simple instructions. Video tutorial and Description attached.
- Log in to your Magento Dashboard
- Navigate to CATALOG > MANAGE CATEGORIES on the top navigation Menu.
- The MANAGE CATEGORIES page will have the categories listed on your left and the content of the categories to the right.
- Click Add CATEGORIES button to add categories to to your system
- ROOT CATEGORIES – Adds root categories to you site and will display in the root categories branch
- SUBCATEGORIES – adds subcategories and will display under the relevant main categories.
- Fill in the relevant information and click SAVE CATEGORY button to complete.
- All required fields are indicated with an Asterisk (*)
Additional Tips On WordPress Posts
- Here are some important and most commonly used options under category information
- Is Active – setting option to YES will display the category on the website while NO will deativate it from the view of the site
- Include in Navigation Menu – YES will add it the main menu of your sites main navigation nf vice versa.
- Display settings – Dictates whether you want to use the categories to show products or use it as a information page with a specific cms block or a combination of both.
- Categories Branch view – Has a Drag and drop functionality that can be used to change the category and subcategory levels.
- Custom Design – Dictates the template settings for the category view – see more information on the video for a better understanding.
- Category Products – lists all the products belonging to a specific category.
- For additional information on setting template design and custom options please check the video tutorial above.
- Additional tutorials– Now that you know ho to add categories & subcategories to your store take a look at some other tutorials for Magento that will help you better manage and understand your Magento website.
I hope this article and video attached was helpful in understanding your Magento Website.