Learn how to customize system generated email templates in Magento
In this tutorial we will discuss the steps involved in editing/changing default emails in Magento. This tutorial is accompanied by a video and a written account on how to make the above mentioned changes.
How To Change Email Templates in Magento
- Log in to Magento Dashboard using your admin Username and Password.
- You need admin privileges to make some of these changes
- Click on SYSTEM > TRANSACTIONAL EMAILS
- Once you are on the Transactional emails page Click on ADD NEW TEMPLATE
- Load the template you want to edit from the drop down option under the TEMPLATE field
- Click on LOAD TEMPLATE in order to change the email you wish to edit
- The default template will Load right underneath
- Name the new template accordingly so you can easily recognize it
- Make the necessary changes in the TEMPLATE SUBJECT and TEMPLATE CONTENT areas as you desire
- Preview your changes by clicking the PREVIEW TEMPLATE button. Make the necessary changes accordingly
- Save the new template by clicking SAVE TEMPLATE button
- Your new email template is now saved to Magento.
Once your new email template has been created the next step is to give Magento specific instructions to use the new email template as the default. You can do this by following the instructions below.
- Click on SYSTEM > CONFIGURATION
- Locate the section that has information stored about the specific email template. Please note that this will be organized accordingly under the system configuration. Here are some examples
- Customer new account email is located under SYSTEM > CONFIGURATION > CUSTOMER CONFIGURATION ( CUSTOMERS) > CREATE NEW ACCOUNT OPTIONS > DEFAULT WELCOME EMAIL
- Forgot email template located at SYSTEM > CONFIGURATION > CUSTOMER CONFIGURATION ( CUSTOMERS) > PASSWORD OPTIONS > FORGOT EMAIL TEMPLATE
- Invoice emails located at SYSTEM > CONFIGURATION > SALES EMAILS (SALES) > INVOICE EMAIL TEMPLATE
- Once the necessary changes are done click the SAVE CONFIG button at the top
This completes our tutorial on how you can change transactional emails in magento. Please remember to make a backup of any template you wish to edit in-case you want to roll back to the original.