How To Add A Post To Your WordPress Website
Are you looking for directions on how to add a new post/ blog article to your WordPress Website? Follow these simple instructions. Video tutorial and Description attached.
- Log in to your WordPress Dashboard
- Navigate to POST on the left side bar.
- You have 2 options under pages.
- ALL POSTS – Lists out all the page in your WordPress Website
- ADD NEW – Shortcut to Add a New page
- CATEGORIES – Displays all the categories and sub categories in your blog
- TAGS – while different from categories, tags are a variation for you to categorize your posts in different subject matter.
- Click on ADD NEW
- Fill out all the necessary information on the ADD NEW PAGE
- The Description editor has 2 views
- VISUAL – You can use the visual editor similar to Microsoft Word or any other text editor on your Computer
- TEXT – The Text editor uses HTML markup language to format your content. So in order to use the text view you need to be familiar with HTML Language.
- Once you are complete with the content you click PUBLISH to save your new page.
Additional Tips On WordPress Posts
- CATEGORIES VS. TAGS
- Categories – are meant for broad grouping of your posts. Think of these as the main table of contents or general topics for your blog/site. Categories are there to help identify what your blog is really about. It is there to assist readers and your site visitors to find the right type of content on your site. Categories are hierarchical, so you can sub-categories.
- Tags – are meant to describe specific details of your posts. Think of these as your site’s index words or keywords. They are the micro-data that you can use to micro-categorize your content. Tags are not hierarchical.
Here is a great example on how you can distinguish between tags and Categories.
If you have a blog site where you write about your life. Your main categories probably would look like: Music, Food, Travel, Spirituality and Books. Now when you write a post about something that you ate, you will add it in the Food category. But food can be a very broad topic and you want to provide your site readers with more information on food using tags. Then you can add tags like pizza, pasta, steak etc.
One of the biggest difference between tags and categories is that you MUST categorize your post. You are not required to add any tags. If you do not categorize your post, then it will be categorized under the “uncategorized” category.
- PERMALINK – The permalink structure can be change by clicking EDIT button on the permalink section of the page.
- You should always use a SEO friendly title and Permalink on your site as this will help with your SEO efforts.
- Learn How to Change the Permalink Structure on your WordPress Website
- Learn more about SEO Friendly URLS – SEO explained for Beginners
I hope this article and video attached was helpful for your WordPress Website.